CSCP 2022 Year in Review: First year of data collected for new fragrance disclosure law shows substantial expansion of the CA Safe Cosmetics Product Database
We are proud to share these program milestones CSCP achieved last year:
- Completed first full year of collecting reports for the Cosmetic Fragrance & Flavor Ingredients Right to Know Act of 2020 (CFFIRKA/SB312). You can now search the California Safe Cosmetics Product Database for previously undisclosed fragrance and flavor ingredients.
- Received over 25,000 product reports in 2022—over four times more than the previous year.
- Received product reports with 119 newly reportable fragrance and flavor ingredients in 2022—double the number of total unique ingredients previously reported.
- Added over 160 new cosmetics company accounts in 2022; this represents about a 70% increase over the previous year. You can query and download more data in the Product Database.
- Enabled Clearya to make our database information more accessible for consumers. Clearya is a free mobile phone app and web browser add-on that alerts users to hazardous ingredients when shopping on certain popular websites. To date, Clearya has increased access to cosmetics ingredients information collected by CSCP over seven-fold.
- Gave 6 presentations on California cosmetics laws, the database, and our projects to a variety of audiences, including industry groups, consumers, and researchers.
- Published the second journal article for the CAPABLE Project, a collaboration between a diverse group of community partners and researchers. The study showed that over half of the products found as marketed to or used by women of color listed chemicals linked to cancer, reproductive harm, or endocrine disruption on their ingredient labels, and lab testing revealed additional undisclosed chemicals of concern. CSCP Chief, Dr. Paula Johnson also wrote an accompanying blog post about the project's background and findings.
Thank you to our partners, CDPH leadership and legal counsel, safe cosmetics advocates, and industry leaders who contributed to these efforts. We look forward to sharing more achievements with you in the coming year.